Friday, September 25, 2009

Faculty Member Mark Rogers - a Different Perspective

As students, you probably have a pretty good idea of photojournalism instructor Mark Rogers' Talent. We wanted to give you insight into his CHARACTER. (Above image from the Mark Rogers Media website. Photo by Mark Rogers)

We asked photographer, Mei-Chun Jau for her perspective on Mark, since he was her photo editor at the Fort Worth Star Telegram from 1996-1999. After her time at the FWST, she moved on to the Dallas Morning News, and she currently works as a freelancer. You can see her work HERE. Though it's been a few years since she worked for Mark, this is what she had to say:
"Mark Rogers was my photo editor during my stint as a staff photographer at The Fort Worth Star-Telegram. He always offered great insight to any assignment I had to take on. Not only was he a great manager, Mark is a quick thinking, creative photojournalist and one of the most thoughtful person I have ever know. He always took his time to listen to my thoughts and concerns.

I remember once, all my photo equipment was stolen during the time I was working on a story about a teacher dying of breast cancer. Not only was I exhausted from working long hours on this story, but it was emotionally draining and the loss of my equipment made things even worse. Fortunately, the newsroom generously took up a collection to help me out. The support of my fellow journalists was incredibly touching. When Mark handed me the newsroom's donations, he also handed me an extra donation of his own and told me that he believed in my talent. His encouragement during that difficult time was key in helping me get back on track.

Mark Rogers was a great mentor and for that I am truly honored to have work with him."

Beautiful!
We're lucky to have you, Mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment